Experience St. Lucia’s Abundant Beauty
Touring St. Lucia is one of the best ways to experience the island’s wildlife and stunning natural terrain. Explore Fond Doux Resort’s surroundings and abundant tropical beauty, and venture beyond the resort, as well, to discover thousands of unique plant species and wild and wonderful animals only found on St. Lucia, including the Red-snouted Tree Frog and the Vincent’s Least Gecko.
Why not visit a banana plantation, scale the Pitons, or embark on a guided tour of the Caribbean’s only drive-in bubbling and steaming volcano? The island’s trails are ideal for hikers and ramblers. For those looking for some beauty treatment, St. Lucia even boasts its own sulphur and mud bath.
Here are some tour ideas to get you started:
Complimentary Fond Doux Resort Tour
On this historic and educational tour, our knowledgeable guides take you on a journey of French Kings, chocolate, and organic fruits and vegetables.
The tour begins with a brief history of the resort’s plantation, how it evolved, and where it is today. You are then led to the Cocoa Fermentation House to see the beginning of the chocolate making process, the drying trays, the cocoa – rina dance, and ultimately cocoa sticks being made.
Next your guide takes you around the resort trails, passing under the tropical canopy of almond, nutmeg, cocoa, and palm trees. The many varieties of flowers include Pagoda, White Star Jasmine, and Lobster Claws, the latter of which features cup-like petals that collect rainwater, making them popular with the many Hummingbirds of Fond Doux Resort & Plantation.
This tour is complimentary for our resort guests.
Trails at the Resort
Step out into the lush, tropical 135-acre estate at Fond Doux Resort & Plantation and traverse one of our three diverse heritage tour nature trails. These trails lead to breathtaking vistas and historical ruins with diverse flora and fauna, local traditions, and folklore.
- The Estate Trail is a gentle walk through parts of the cultivated areas of Fond Doux Resort. This level trail takes you among the cocoa trees and our other main crops: bananas and coconuts, as well as about 30 other trees and fruit crops, including coffee, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a variety of citrus. See the processing buildings where cocoa fermentation and drying and coconut processing take place to this day.
- The Chateaubelair Trail traverses the old maroon escape route. It requires climbing, but is worth the effort because it takes you to the highest point at the resort – the Chateaubelair Ridge.
- The East Ruins Trail is a gentle incline that takes you to the old ruins on the resort grounds in just a few minutes. A stronghold of the local French Republican Revolutionary Party, the area was a canon fortification and the scene of a major battle between Revolutionaries and the British on April 22, 1795. The stronghold was most likely built by French Engineers, and musket balls have been found on the site.
Diamond Botanical Gardens
Arguably the most beautiful gardens on St. Lucia, the Diamond Botanical Gardens feature the most colourful and picturesque waterfall on the island. Only a few minutes walk from the town of Soufriere, these gardens are minimally landscaped, preserving the feeling of being a tropical rainforest.
Morne Coubaril Estate Tour
This estate is located one mile from the town of Soufriere, just off Vieux Fort Road. The tour tells the fascinating story of how life has changed on St. Lucia and includes horseback riding and a zip-line showcasing magnificent views of Soufriere and St. Lucia’s countryside.
Hiking the Pitons
These two iconic peaks, near Soufriere, are St. Lucia’s most photographed feature. Gros Piton is a moderate-to-difficult hike that takes most people about two hours to ascend and 90-minutes to descend. The views from the summit make it well worth it, though. Petit Piton is not a recommended climb due to landslides and difficulty.
Sulphur Springs & Drive-Through Volcano
Our world-famous Sulphur Springs, near Soufriere, are one of the most visited attractions in Saint Lucia. You can bathe in the medicinal waters or gaze in wonder at the bubbling springs. A “must-do” for sure, although be prepared for the smell!
Tet Paul Nature Trail
This nature trail hike, only a five minute drive from Fond Doux Resort & Plantation takes about 45 minutes to complete and offers spectacular views – so don’t forget your camera. View points look over St. Lucia’s majestic Pitons, as well as the islands of Martinique and St. Vincent, and the gorgeous southern side of the island is easily visible along the way.
Other Excursions in St. Lucia
- Bird Sanctuary, Millet
- Bounty Rum Distillery, Near Marigot
- Caribelle Batik, Castries
- Castries Market, Castries
- Fish Fry, Various Villages
- Helicopter Tour, Castries/Vieux Fort
- La Sikwi Sugar Mill, Anse La Raye
- Latille Falls, Castries
- La Toc Battery, Castries
- Mamiku Botanical Gardens, Marigot
- Pigeon Island National Park
- Rodney Bay Marina